I am happy to report the date April 15th has more history than just Tax Day! There are some additional famous April 15th events through history, here are a few to take your mind off the IRS for a minute or two today.
Events that shaped our future
- 1755 – Samuel Johnson’s A Dictionary of the English Language was published in London.
- 1892 – The Edison General Electric Company (General Electric Company) was formed.
- 1912 – The fourth dimension was referred to ‘as Time’ by Albert Einstein
- 1923 – Insulin became available for use by people with diabetes.
- 1941 – Igor Ivor Sikorsky made the first helicopter flight over one-hour duration in his Vought-Sikorsky VS-300.
- 1947 – Jackie Robinson, became the first African-American player in Major League Baseball when he played at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1955 – McDonald’s opened its first franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois.
Then there were events that opened up new opportunities for the free sprits that have traveling and adventure in their souls.
- 1817 – The Erie Canal was authorized, to link between Buffalo on Lake Erie and the Hudson River at Albany, New York.
- 1924 – Rand McNally published its first road atlas.
- 1964 – Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel was opened to traffic, connecting the Eastern Shore to Virginia Beach.
- 1983 – Tokyo Disneyland opened to the public.
A few notable musical hits on April 15th
- 1950 – #1 Hit April 15, 1950 – April 28, 1950: Eileen Barton – If I Knew You Were Comin’ I’d have Baked a Cake.
- 1967 – #1 Hit April 15, 1967 – May 12, 1967: Nancy Sinatra and Frank Sinatra – Somethin’ Stupid
- 1972 – #1 Hit April 15, 1972 – May 26, 1972: Roberta Flack – The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Tragedy also struck on April 15th
- 1912 – Titanic sank in the North Atlantic Ocean, near Newfoundland & Nova Scotia, Canada, after hitting an iceberg the night before.
- 1927 – The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 began.
This is one of those trivia facts that could win you a tons of money or at least the envy of your friends.
- April 15, 1951, 19** Birthday (fictional) Marge Simpson, The Simpsons, TV show
My personal favorite
- 2019 – make that call to Camp David Realty for a free Market Analysis or to help you find that perfect Northwoods Property. (This one can actually be any day of the year!)